West Midlands Police
West Midlands Police is the second largest police force in the UK, serving a population of almost 2.8 million. The force covers the three major centres of Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton as well as districts of Sandwell, Walsall, Solihull and Dudley. The West Midlands Police force deals with more than 2,000 emergency calls for help every day, as well as street patrolling and responding to 24/7 incidents. The police force is divided into 8 neighbourhood policing units each with their own neighbourhood teams.
Capita have been a supplier of mission-critical solutions to law enforcement agencies for over 30 years and work closely with law and justice clients to support evolving operational requirements and future business needs in policing. Capita has worked with West Midlands Police since 1986, providing IT infrastructure support and consultancy services to their IT users across the force. West Midlands Police have their own IT staff on-site, however required a break-fix support contract in relation to servers, storage and hardware and therefore appointing Capita as their support services partner.
West Midlands Police required a reliable, cost effective support services provider to support their mission critical services to the public. As well as a break-fix service, over the years Capita has supported the force with a number of projects including relocation of their data centre, disaster recovery services and virtualisation across two different sites. These stable and robust systems were put in place to reduce the number of physical machines on-site as well as ensuring users could carry on seamlessly with their day to day activities and provide an efficient policing service to the public. West Midlands Police value Capita’s knowledge and expertise and with the impact of budget constraints, felt Capita could offer a cost effective solution for their needs.
Details of Solution provided
- Break-fix contract for servers and storage – Oracle sun servers, HP servers and storage, HP and Oracle hardware, Solaris support, Dell servers
- Relocation of West Midlands Police data centre
- Technical consultancy and advice service to reduce the number of machines on-site
- Manage partnership with HP & Oracle
- Virtualisation across two sites
- Long standing working relationship between Capita and West Midlands Police, providing IT support for over 30 years
- Minimal disruption to mission critical services, the data centre relocation project ensured a seamless transition with no disruption to staff day to day activities
- Access to a pool of resources and specialist skills with over 250 engineers based throughout the UK
- Cost effective service particularly during a period of budget constraints enables cost savings for the force
- Break-fix services provides West Midlands Police with peace of mind their IT has the support it needs to keep operating efficiently whilst continuing to serve the public
- Access to a dedicated service desk for further IT support
- Environmentally friendly – reduction of machines and floor space usage
Bob Wellings, Team Manager, Infrastructure Services from West Midlands Police said: “West Midlands Police is delighted with the mission critical service Capita provide. This service enables cost efficiencies, a move to a greener environment and access to expertise with expert knowledge of our systems. We are confident we can carry on seamlessly, allowing us to progress with our duties and are assured our infrastructure is in good hands.”