Western Health and Social Care Trust
The Western Health and Social Care Trust provides health and social care services across the areas of Strabane and Derry City, Fermanagh and Omagh District, and Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council areas.
Established in 2007, the Western Trust is one of five trusts in Northern Ireland and currently employs approximately 12,500 staff, delivering services from a number of hospitals, community based settings and in some cases in individuals’ homes.
The Trust engaged with Capita to architect their new IT infrastructure within the new Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex which opened its doors on the 20th June 2017. The £105 million Hospital and Primary Care Complex has been designed with the needs of its patients and clients in mind. It operates two wards for Palliative Care and Rehabilitation, and four GP Practices. Having worked with Capita Managed IT Solutions since 2003 on the development, design and implementation of IT infrastructure across the Trust, the decision was made to engage further with Capita for this project.
When the new South West Acute Hospital opened in 2012, Capita was engaged to provide programme management services to ensure the successful transition from a number of hospitals to one state-of-the-art hospital complex.
The Western Health and Social Care Trust appointed Capita Managed IT Solutions as a strategic IT partner to support the introduction of the new Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex. The new hospital signals a new chapter in the history of healthcare for thousands of patients in the Omagh area and beyond will benefit from the new facility. The previous hospital, known as the Tyrone County Hospital, was in need of a new facility to help improve patient-centric care.
A number of technical projects were expertly managed and implemented in parallel to prepare the new Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex for service to the community. These projects included the provision of a highly available and resilient Storage Area Network, Server platform and Virtual Infrastructure based upon HP and VMWare technologies, as well as a desktop deployment and printer deployment.
The Trust chose to continue working with Capita as it was confident Capita’s service was scalable to support the workloads at the new campus and easy to integrate into the existing capabilities. It also wanted to ensure a seamless transition in relation to the ICT infrastructure from the Tyrone County Hospital to the new Omagh Hospital, with minimal disruption to services and patients.
The Trust needed to ensure the IT infrastructure implemented which included hardware, networks and servers, were reliable, secure and resilient in order to run clinical technology and keep patient data confidential.
- Design, provision and deployment of compute and storage at two sites on the new Omagh Hospital Campus
- Scope and deployment of hardware (based on HP Enterprise compute and storage) in readiness for Hospital move to new campus
- Virtual infrastructure to provide high availability (Live Migration) and site recovery capabilities (Automatic failover of workloads and to accommodate 100% running on one site)
- Storage to support up to 20TB at each site
- The virtual infrastructure was deployed, configured and documented by Capita to facilitate a handover to WHSCT IT support staff
- Desktop deployment
- Printer deployment
The infrastructure project also required appropriate liaison with a range of builders, sub-contractors, engineers and administrative officials, to bring together the whole programme of ICT requirements together and ensure implementation was completed on time.
- Access to specialist expertise - Capita staff offer extensive skills and experience
- The Trust proactively partnering with Capita as an IaaS partner enables them to be better placed to maximise healthcare technology for the benefit of patient care
- Cost effective service, which is crucial to the Trust as needed to be within budget
- New kit installed in relation to desktop and printer deployment ensures it is less likely to break down and looks well in the new hospital environment
- Full user training on printers and devices, resulting in maxiumum levels of uptime.
“Thank you for all your help in the installation and commissioning of the HPe storage hardware in the new Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex. The Capita technical team that came on site were very professional in working through the project and liaising with WHSCT ICT staff to ensure all tasks were completed satisfactory. Both Capita and the Trust ICT have worked well together and there was a good technical knowledge which helped the work run smoothly. I look forward to working again with you in the future.” Paul McNulty, ICT Technical Manager, Western Health & Social Care Trust