Capita Managed IT Solutions have been working in partnership with Wolseley UK for over 15 years and were appointed to deliver a new infrastructure solution to improve the customer experience and support revenue growth across over 626 sites across England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Project Connect represented an investment of close to £11m following a successful pilot rollout across 21 sites.
Key services delivered by Capita:
Updated cabling infrastructure
Cisco phone system
Thin client technology
– this consisted of branch audits, recabling where required, implementation of new equipment racks were required.
- this consisted of Cisco UCM / Voicemail Platform Readiness assessment, implementation of Branch specific Dial Plan, Cisco UCM / Voicemail Configuration in support of branch delivery, thin client Management Console Changes, Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration.
Cisco Voice Deployment
- extending the Corporate Cisco UCM Voice Environment in to the branch, extending the Corporate Cisco Unity Voicemail Environment in to the branch.
- training and branch familiarisation, deployment of a new LAN switching, deployment of a new multi-function router, deployment of new Cisco wireless access points, deployment of new thin client devices, deployment of SIP Ringer.
Wolseley UK is the UK operating company of Wolseley plc, a distributor of heating and plumbing products and a leading supplier of builders' products to the professional market. Wolseley UK operates over 600 sites across the UK from its headquarters in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.
Capita Managed IT Solutions has been working in partnership with Wolseley UK for over 15 years and has become a strategic IT partner responsible for the development, planning, implementation and on-going support of the Wolseley business.
Wolseley’s vision for Project Connect was to help deliver an excellent customer experience by improving tools, branch experience and access to information. Wolseley wanted to improve the overall customer buying process and increase sales revenue by updating ageing technology and infrastructure and providing better access to information.
Core project objectives included;
Replacement of aging technologies and business services, creating a professional branch experience for customers and staff alike.
Providing branch staff with technologies and business services that will deliver a step change to enhance customer service - better telephones, screens, printers and a network.
Empowering branch staff with information to make the right business decisions.
Details of Solution provided
Wolseley’s requirements included a new voIP telephony solution, thin clients, Wireless Access Points and refreshed cabling. In total, Capita upgraded 626 sites delivering a range of services including project management, IT audits, off site pre-build, infrastructure (cabling and power) refresh, central platform configuration, site equipment deployment, wireless access point, IT system test, support and contract management. The program of work was completed at the end of November 2015.
Capita provided the following services for Wolseley:
(i) Site Infrastructure Changes
– full on-site IT Audit including cabling, equipment rack deployment and power;
(ii) Central Services Changes
– Cisco platform readiness assessment, implementation of Site dial plan, Site UCM/Unity configuration including Andtek integration, thin client management configuration, wireless Access Point provisioning;
(iii) Cisco Voice Deployment
– configuration of Site specific Cisco UCM/Unity changes (extensions, voice mailboxes, hunt groups);
(iv) Site Equipment Deployment
– LAN switches, router local voice configuration (SRST), access points, iGel, SIP ringer, VoIP equipment delivery and installation and technology familiarisation;
(v) Delivery Completion
– collection and supply of asset information (existing and new), deployment information supporting CMBD update, site sign off, documentation, transition to support readiness;
(vi) Disposal services
in relation to Redundant Equipment (including WEEE disposal certification);
(vii) Project Services
- project management, procurement, logistics, storage and site communications.
The vision for Project Connect was to deliver a refresh program of Wolseley’s ICT infrastructure whilst minimising risks. With the new investment in their IT, Wolseley has seen improvement in both customer interaction and business revenue.
Project Connect has delivered the following benefits:
Increase in revenue through removing ‘lost’ business opportunities from missed customer interactions
An improved ‘Customer Interaction,’ – both on premises and via telephone
Consistent and ubiquitous telephony solution across sites delivering improved call handling
Uniform features and management interface
Migration to a companywide communications solution with cross site functionality
Replacement of legacy green screen terminals with new thin client device technology – creating energy, management and support cost savings.
Wireless network to enable mobile working within branches.
Capita’s ‘Project Connect’ solution helped to significantly improve inter-branch communications across the entire Wolseley UK estate through the incorporation of VoIP and LAN technologies.
“Wolseley have worked with Capita to develop a “Connected” solution that delivers our branch network with up to date technologies and business services that will deliver a step change to enhance customer service.
The Capita Project team have worked seamlessly with our Programme team to deliver a transformation programme of change across our trading branch estate that will support our future business objectives.
In particular Capita’s commitment to delivering the objectives and the flexibility shown throughout the programme meant we were able to deal with the challenges that always arise in a project of work of this scale and complexity. The ‘Connect’ solution helped to significantly improve inter-branch communications across the entire Wolseley UK estate.” Roger Connett, Head of IT.